Invitation from a Missionary

Invitation from a Missionary

Monday, March 17, 2014

Let me tell you my story

Dear Family,
I thought I was going to get a super long email in, plus a few emails to the rest of the family... Unfortunately it took me a hour and a half to get the computer to work... So... I don't have a huge amount of time left to write... and I still had to read... Will see what happens. :D (But I shouldn't complain though... at least I HAVE a computer and the opportunity to email...)
Thanks for answering my question Dad! And I'm glad that you answer Dallin's questions in the same email so I can get his answers too! That's so much fun! I'll be very honest... I miss family devotionals. I miss reading the scriptures as a family and being able to ask any questions I have and just talking together... BUT... I am learning a lot out here and I wouldn't trade it. But... I guess this is just a reminder for Keana and Taft to enjoy those small moments now while you still can.
I'm glad that you got so much done this week though! And I'm sorry that you have to know what rejection feels like.


But Quickly... I WANT TO GO TO FRANCE! (But I'm in Sweden... So I guess I can't be to jealous... :P You're going to be so close to me!!! But yet... so far away... :( ... )
My week... Has been... A week. :D
Once again we were in transit for about a day worth of the week and we were out of our area for about three and a half of the seven days... So... It was a little harder to get things done this week.
I'll share an exciting story first...
First, I'd like you all to imagine some fish... And now... imagine that it gets put in a can... and then left there... and left there... and left there... until it has fermented... Let's say for about two or three months... You can take a look at the can that it is in and it is now bulging (which would NORMALLY mean that the food inside was probably food poisoned, if my memory serves me right that's one of the signs of botulism, which has been a very real fear of mine since 11th grade when my food and nutrition teacher spent several days talking about how there was no cure and it would kill you...) and you think that there might be a kind of nasty smell about it...
This would be surstömming. I ate it.
Let me tell you my story. So the Elders have been working with a Less-Active for a while now and while talking with him Elder Packer mentioned that he had never eaten Surstömming before (which is a Swedish Specialty) (Although I hear it is also very popular in Japan) Olf said it was the most disgusting thing in the world and that Elder Packer should count his blessings, and then arranged a way for the Elders to try it and invited the Sisters to come along to... So we did, and the warned us not to wear anything that we actually liked... because then it was possible that we'd never be able to wear it again. So we didn't wear proselyting... Anyway... we go, and it was Olf, the less active, and his friend Magnus, and it was at Magnus' house... except... he had a SEPERATE house... that he calls his surströmming house. He NEVER eats surströmming in his house because the smell will stay for weeks. And he had to open the can outside (it stunk) and any food that was in the house had to be eaten that day or thrown away because it would start tasting a little like surströmming because of the smell. It REALLY smelled... I'm still struggling to understand why people like eating surströmming... anyways, so I ate some of it... and it tasted disgusting... Like... well like salt and rottenness and... well... not yummy... I will say though that I was braver than the elders, I tried it before either of them... and I ate it faster. :D (Sister Pieksma had tried it before, but she tried it again with us...) It actually wasn't ALL that horrible... only a little horrible. It probably smells worse than it tastes...
Alright... so that wasn't the best story I've ever told, I'll admit that right now... :D It was interesting though.


Let's see... what else happened this week... Oh... we got I-phones. What? Yeah... weird, I don't really know how to use it all that well though... It's weird... As a missionary I feel as though having an I-phone is... I don't know it just feels weird.
Thankfully they've blocked pretty much all websites that are not LDS.org... I don't want to think about what could be done otherwise...
I don't know... I feel as though A LOT has happened this week, but yet I also feel as though not very much has happened. I guess sometimes a lot happens but not all of it is very story worthy.
I don't know... things have just been a little weird as of late.
We went to this Less-Actives house... and she had a cat. And the cat sat on me. AND REFUSED TO GET OFF... so eventually I just gave in and petted it. It was a very pretty cat... a very fat cat too... I still prefer dogs... and my clothes were covered in cat hair... which stank... but hey. But Emilie (the less active) just laughed and laughed at that. Apparently the cat likes me... but hey, at least someone does.
We went over to the Ottosons for dinner last night. They are really so much fun! I love them.
Interesting fact... I don't think I have ever met a group of kids who like playing hide-and-go-seek as much as the kids in this branch do. The past two times at institute we end up playing hide-and-go-seek (since this branch is so small institute is pretty much YM, YW, Institute, and... well... all other youth activities...) and then at the Ottosons the little girls really wanted to play hide-and-go-seek... Let me just tell you... I am surprisingly good at this game... It's also an incentive to lose weight so I can fit into smaller and smaller spots. :P Actually I'm not very good at the game... I just feel like the people I play with aren't very good at the 'seeking' part. But then they just get over-excited and forget to look everywhere. It's just funny.
Let me see... let me see... Oh... We had Zone Conference this week (it was Norrland Zone (that's me!) Stockholm North Zone, and Stockholm Zone) and it was really good... I'll be honest my favorite part might be seeing missionaries that you haven't seen in forever... I love that part... but then we also get some spiritual uplifting and some good advice... I think it's interesting... I've heard President and Sister Newell both comment on how in reality... Conferences like these are a HUGE waste of time... Numbers are normally a little lower that week, and there are never huge jumps in numbers the week after... but yet they continue to hold them... And I think part of that reason is to remind us that we aren't alone. Because sometimes it feels like that. The only missionaries you see are the ones in your district... and even then sometimes you can go a while without seeing all of them. But when you see all of these missionaries, some of them your friends, it reminds you, hey, I'm not fighting this battle by myself, there are other people out there struggling along with me. And of course we all have the Lord... but sometimes it's hard to remember that. Although without him NOTHING would get done.
But anyways, at Zone Conference Sister Newell gave each of us our own relaxation CD that has different relaxation... thingys... apparently we need it, supposedly Missionary Work can be stressful. Hmm... Maybe.
I think we're a little spoiled though too... we have so many resources to help us along.
But I'm still grateful for it.
I don't know... it's been an interesting week... I've had a lot on my mind as of late...
Like I said, I didn't have a whole lot of time this week.
Love you Lots.
Keep me in your prayers.
We've got to run now!
I hope you guys can figure out what's going on with Keana's stomache.
You are all in my prayers.
Say sorry to everyone I couldn't e-mail today!
I LOVE YOU ALL!
Love,
Syster Kjanela Fawcett

No comments:

Post a Comment